Someone once said to me, love is like a bank account. You can't just keep withdrawing, you've got to deposit, so when you really need to, you've got enough stored away to withdraw from.
Have we been withdrawing too much?
This is actually a question I have absolutely no answer to.
It just seems, at times, we are forever in a cyclic loop of work, pay the bills, family events, catch-up with friends, work, pay the bills and so forth.
I mean there's the occasional reward of a fabulously awesome weekend or a holiday trip overseas but the reality of life is usually by the week.
Relationships get stale after a while too - you look at the same face, same body and same old topics of conversation day-in-day-out.
So how do you go about conquering the monotony of everyday life? Like I said, I don't have the answer but I do know WHY we get bored.
1. Because there's nothing major to look forward to - when there is a goal or a bright shinning reward somewhere along the line we get excited because we actually have something to pine for. Sometimes it gets a bit anti-climatic when we reach it but nonetheless, it's something to look forward to. I like to akin it to having a sentence where you get an end date - I mean life imprisonment without parole just about kills you on the spot.
2. Because you're always broke - I wonder if there's an age that you reach and then bam! all of a sudden this isn't an issue anymore. But there's always something isn't there? You're saving for a house, you're saving for a wedding, you're saving for a car, a holiday, a child, a cow. Or you got fined, you got robbed, your car needs servicing, needs fixing, needs a tyre, you got hit in the face by some invoices from god knows where.
3. Because you don't have a hobby - name one hobby that doesn't require money.
4. Because you're stuck in a routine - well unless you're at war in the Middle East, I don't see how you cannot be stuck in a routine. Sometimes you wake up and just get sick of personal hygiene like brushing your teeth, showering, washing your hair, putting on makeup, eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, brushing your teeth.... but you do because it's a routine you can't not do like getting up for work, going home, getting up for work, going home - unless you're retired - then you probably get up and then...hope you're not going to have a heart attack today.
5. Because LIFE IS BORING - you just can't have it any other way. Even if you move to a foreign country, find new friends, do new things - it eventually gets old.
So maybe and I'm going out on a limb here, we all need a personal trained monkey that entertains us. A bit like a trained butler clown monkey that sings, dances, plays drums, tells jokes and does magic tricks.
Posted by jen at 6:05 PM